Need an Experienced, Effective Editor?
Emma Walton Hamilton is a best-selling children’s book author (7 times on the NY Times Bestseller list, including twice at #1). And, as Editorial Director of the Julie Andrews Collection publishing program, she has shepherded dozens of books by other authors through the publication process. Because she is an author as well as an editor, Emma uniquely understands the challenges and nuances of creating a successful children’s book…
“Emma is a talented developmental editor. She is adept at giving editorial feedback in a constructive way to authors; has a strong sense of plot, character development, and dialogue, and is particularly good at line-editing so that a story’s shape emerges more clearly (her suggestions for cutting and streamlining are particularly effective). Emma also has a strong marketing sense; unlike many editors, she has a talent for conceiving, writing, and excecuting marketing materials for both print and electronic mediums.” – Katherine Tegen, Vice President, Editorial Director – HarperCollins Children’s Books
Children’s Book Editing Services:
NOTE: Page counts are based on an average of 250 words per page, Times New Roman size 12 font, double-spaced.
Comprehensive written evaluation of manuscript, with specific recommendations as to how to strengthen and improve plot, narrative, character development, theme, structure and presentation.
- Picture Book (up to 1,500 words) – $575
- Early Chapter Books (up to 6,500 words) – $950
- Chapter Books (6,500-15,000 words) – $1500
- Middle Grade Novels (15,000 – 35,000 words) $2000
- Middle Grade, Young Adult (YA) (more than 35,000 words) – Starting at $3000
Line-by line recommendations to focus and tighten the story, strengthen the themes, enhance readability, improve grammar and sentence structure and maximize sales potential.
- Picture Books (up to 1,500 words): Narrative Prose – $950 Rhyming Verse – $1200
- Early Reader/Chapter Book (up to 6,500 words) – $1500
- Middle Grade Novels, Chapter Books (6,500-35,000 words): $65 per page
- Middle Grade & Young Adult Novels (more than 35,000 words): $55 per page
Query Critiques – $175
Often called “The Query Whisperer” by those who have worked with her, Emma has critiqued hundreds of queries for events such as WriteonCon and Julie Hedlund’s 12X12 Picture Book Challenge as well as for students and editing clients.
A query critique is $175, and includes a line-by-line edit and polish of your query or cover letter to agents or editors for a picture book, chapter book or novel.
(Note: It is highly recommended that you view Emma’s short video on Writing Queries prior to requesting a query critique.)
One-to-one mentoring and consultation for writing and publishing projects on an hourly basis.
Get more information on Emma’s Mentoring and Consulting.
The Children’s Book Hub provides information, resources, and ongoing network of coaching and support for children’s book authors all year long.
Monthly membership is just $19.95, and includes….
- Monthly webcasts featuring Expert Interviews with authors, editors, agents and other notable members of the children’s book industry
- Monthly Question and Answer Calls, plus access to recordings of all calls and slideshows
- A monthly newsletter focusing on items of interest for children’s book authors in the areas of writing, editing, marketing, publishing and selling your books
- Social networking opportunities with other authors and children’s book lovers
- Resources and tools for writing, editing, publishing, selling and marketing your books
- Information about industry trends and events, such as conferences, workshops, festivals, organizations and associations specific to children’s literature
What Members Say About the Hub….
“An invaluable resource!” “A writer’s dream!” “By far the best and most informative site I have found for writers!” “Amazingly beneficial!” “A valuable part of my writing life!”
For more information and to join the Hub, visit The Children’s Book Hub.
EDITORIAL INQUIRY PROCEDURE:
If you are interested in obtaining editorial services, please email an inquiry to email@example.com
Include the following in your email:
- a brief description of the project
- number of pages and word count
- sample chapter or 3-5 sample pages of the manuscript
“A good editor can improve a piece of writing; a really good editor can improve the writer. Emma Walton Hamilton was such an editor for me. She possesses that rare blend of detached professionalism combined with an understanding of the creative process. It’s no wonder that she brings out the best in the writers she works with.” – Susan Milord, author of “Pebble – A Story of Belonging”
See what others are saying about Emma’s Editorial Services
PLACE AD FOR EDITOR-IN-A-BOX COURSES AT THE END