NOTE: Page counts are based on an average of 250 words per page, Times New Roman size 12 font, double-spaced.
Comprehensive written evaluation of manuscript, with specific recommendations as to how to strengthen and improve plot, narrative, character development, theme, structure and presentation.
- Picture Book (up to 1,500 words) – $750
- Early Chapter Books (up to 6,500 words) – $975
- Chapter Books (6,500-15,000 words) – $1000 – 2500
- Middle Grade Novels (15,000 – 35,000 words) $2500 – 3500
- Middle Grade, Young Adult (YA) (more than 35,000 words) – Starting at $3500
Line-by line recommendations to focus and tighten the story, strengthen the themes, enhance readability, improve grammar and sentence structure and maximize sales potential.
- Picture Books (up to 1,500 words): Narrative Prose – $1000 Rhyming Verse – $1200
- Early Reader/Chapter Book (up to 6,500 words) – $1500
- Middle Grade Novels, Chapter Books (6,500-35,000 words): $65 per page
- Middle Grade & Young Adult Novels (more than 35,000 words): $55 per page
Editor in a Box
Not quite ready to hire a private editor? This soup-to-nuts kit containing everything you need to take your picture book through the revision process and prepare it for submission to editors and agents.
- A comprehensive 6-step revision process with specific recommendations for revising your story as well as your storytelling – in video, print and checklist form.
- Lists of overused and unnecessary words, basic grammar and punctuation rules and commonly made errors
- Manuscript formatting guidelines
- Finding, Hiring and Working with Freelance Editors and Manuscript Submission Guides
- Recordings, Transcripts and Takeaways from Interviews with three esteemed professional children’s book editors
Click here to find out more, or purchase Editor in a Box: https://emmawaltonhamilton.com/store
Often called “The Query Whisperer” by those who have worked with her, Emma has critiqued hundreds of queries for events such as WriteonCon and Julie Hedlund’s 12X12 Picture Book Challenge as well as for students and editing clients. A query critique is $300, and includes a line-by-line edit and polish of your query or cover letter to agents or editors for a picture book, chapter book or novel. (Note: It is highly recommended that you view Emma’s short video on Writing Queries prior to requesting a query critique.)
One-to-One Mentoring & Consultation
Purchase individual one-hour sessions: $250 per hour (2-hour minimum for manuscript consultations; first hour provides time for me to review the manuscript and any related materials, make notes, etc.)
Use your time as 60-minute blocks, two 30-minute blocks, or three 20-minute blocks (pay for full two hours in advance).
If you need to tap me for “quick questions” via email, the same rate will apply to the time needed for me to respond.
Appointments for phone/Skype sessions must be made via email, with at least three possible time slots for each session (M-F, between 10:00 AM and 5:00 PM, EST) Email inquiry to: [email protected]